Saturday, October 9, 2010

life changes....

So I was thinking to myself recently "wow, it's been 5 years since I was left alone in Ireland by those girls who were supposed to be my friends". I firstly can't believe 5 years have gone by this quickly. When it all first happened, I felt like my life was over, and I was hoping I could regain their trust and their friendship and they would forgive me for a mistake I made.
Little did I know that 5 years later, my life was a lot better off without them. When everything went down, I felt sad, angry, awful and didn't know what I would do without these "friends" in my life. I wanted so badly to reverse everything that I did just to have them back in my life. I started to realize afterwards that no matter how bad what I did was though, that they had no right to leave me alone in Ireland the way they did.
Here is why I am happy by the actions that they took.
I learned that being by myself isn't always that bad. While I was ditched in Ireland, I met an awesome girl named Amanda, we made a friendship, and we keep in touch. We haven't hung out since then, but she lives in California, so who knows, maybe someday? I re-established a solid friendship with my friend Karen. We started hanging out more, and she (as well as her sister) became some of my best friends. I've gotten to see their relationships flourish, as well as be a part in big events in their lives.
I traveled to Europe more often on my own after that. I made an awesome friend from South Africa who I traveled with back to Ireland, and someday maybe I will be able to visit her in South Africa.
Then here is the big one, I managed to meet my husband while on one of my overseas trip.
Had I still been friends with them, I may have never taken that trip to Oktoberfest, I may have never met him in that Hostel in London and my life would not be what it is today.
So maybe I should thank them for treating me as badly as they did on that trip.
So here it goes....Thanks to you 3 ladies I now have;
Friendships with so many amazing people, and I worked at it, I know not to abuse the friendship, and I truly care for all of the friends I have.
I have a husband who I love, and may have not met had it not been for you.
And last but not least, I have a wonderful son, I wouldn't have him had things been different, so I wouldn't change what I did for anything in the world.
If we had all stayed friends, I may not have all of these things, so thank you for giving up on me the way you did, because I learned a big lesson from this, and now I have so much more to be thankful for.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. Sometimes you have to let go of people in your past to have a better future. That's something I'm still learning with sustain girls. I admire the fact that you moved on. You're also one of the most dedicated friends I know. Not very many people would travel from Texas to Canada to be part of a wedding. I was so grateful you did especially with the problems I had with other bridesmaids (who lived locally). We all make mistakes but you deserve all the happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete