Thursday, July 1, 2010

O'Canada

I'm sitting here, it's Canada Day, and I'm in Texas. I guess I never knew how upset it would make me to not be there. I called my Mom to wish her a happy Canada Day, and when she told me she was drinking Tim Hortons, I almost cried.
I'm not sure what set it off, but I am really, truly homesick. I hope this feeling passes, because I don't want to get more upset as the days go by.
Like when I went to get groceries today, my husband asked me to go get lunch meat, and when I went to get some from the deli counter, I walked past it and picked up some pre-packaged ham. Why you ask? Because I don't understand their conversion system and I didn't want to order too much meat.
I left my GPS system in Kilometres as well. I never had a good grasp on the metric system, but I can understand when it tells me how many metres I have left vs. saying 3/4 of a mile.
I don't understand temperature, so when someone says " it's 100 F outside" all I know is "it's hot".
It goes the other way too, I told the doctors that Clarks temperature was 37 C, and they looked at me like I had 7 heads.
Seriously, I thought the someone of a medical profession might actually know, but I guess not. Now I use the ear thermometer on Clark, if it makes a happy face I know his temp is good, if it makes a sad face, then I know it's bad.
Oh Lord help me understand their strange measurements!
So, it looks like it's a Canada Day spent in a country other than Canada, I believe this is a first for me (well maybe a second, I think we were in England one year). Andy is promising to make me a Hamburger and fries, because really...it's summer in Canada, that's what outdoor cooking is alllllll about :).

No comments:

Post a Comment